Dylan Gibson illustrationAbout Dylan Gibson IllustrationPortfoliodownload wallpaperscontact Dylan

Monday 3 June 2013

Child's Play



A brilliant little local job came my way recently for a client only a ten minute walking distance away in town.  The closeness of this project allowed me to dust of my folder and bring my I pad and sketch book to the meeting for a face to face meeting to discuss the job.

Most of my work is done via the phone and email, I listen or read the brief make comments, send concepts, respond to feedback and draw finished illustrations a process I’m very good at.  My objective when working remotely is to give the impression to the client that I’m just another part of their workspace, easy to contact and talk too with ideas and artwork ready when needed.  That they can in a sense look over my shoulder and see what I’m doing by giving them updates and sketches to progress the project.  Working remotely can be for the client as involved with what I’m doing as they want to be or if they prefer I can create something with greater latitude then that’s good too.

Lots of commissions can involve me to project manage a lot of what the final art will be and its context.  As some people can be new to asking a freelance illustrator to work with them, with only a bare outline of what they need provided.  Its great and I get a buzz out of guiding this kind of project.  Developing the rapport and work to give them something they wanted but maybe couldn’t articulate preferring me to get there on my own as part of the commission as much as the finished illustration.  

Some of my clients will express a feeling about the kind of image they want and if I can capture that impression the result is very satisfying.  The specifics and detail are left to me and these elements if correctly interpreted in the artwork can capture those feelings and give them the emotional connection to the work that they desired.  

My recent local project to draw the shop front for the children’s shop Puddles and Sun was one such project with latitude to create something the client felt they wanted for their store.  As it was for a local independent retailer I wanted to capture that uniqueness and feel of a special one off experience you get when entering that outlet.  I rendered the illustration in a children’s book style to deliver that sense of magic complete with toys that come alive, children playing, a dragon and of course given our location in Perthshire a Highland cow.  It’s not a typical shop illustration but it suits the shop’s identity and the clients feeling that the artwork needed to have a sense of wonder and creativity.   

 
Puddles and Sun 2013


Puddles and Sun 2013, illustration created in pen and ink with art pen and pencil for some textures with colour added later on the computer.  The artwork was fully layered so that characters could be taken away with new details added.  The flexibility was created to allow a change in format for Facebook and Twitter banner use and for seasonal variations for postcards for you never know when Santa might show up.


Puddles and Sun Facebook and Twitter Banner

Visit my website for more work and ways to get in touch, please email me for samples.
Follow me on Twitter @dylanillo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dylan Gibson